Friday 4 January 2013

A building in the dark is just windows.

To start with I would like to dedicate this post to my boyfriend who has the patience and will to listen to each of my new theories and always help me with a fresh eye and his opinion.

Okay, so I am a bit of a stalker. I like looking into windows when I pass them by - taking a brief glimpse of someone else's life taken completely out of context. Especially in the evenings when the facade seems to disappear and you can see just windows in a dark. Each with different light - sometimes strong, sometimes soft, you can tell if someone has television set on or is having a romantic dinner with candle light. You get cuts of interiors, decors on the wall, bits of furniture, shadow of a person.

 My latest fascination is work by Anne-Laure Maison, a French artist whose work mainly focuses on houses and human inhabitants. Combining photographs of doors and windows she creates stunning digital collages.

She did a series Scenes of intimacy. Each piece was photographed in different city and each has its own identity

New York

Île de Ré

Paris

Prague

Amsterdam

"At nightfall, the windows of the flats that are lit up attract more attention than the façade of the buildings that frame them. Lit interiors become real tableaux vivants. The interior takes precedence over the exterior, and we can glimpse moments of people’s intimate lives. I am not actually interested in their intimacy as such, but rather by the space itself – the warmth of a particular light, the twinkling of a  Christmas garland or the shimmering glow of a television, the corner of a painting. All these details stir my imagination and inspire my work. When I gaze at these windows, I like to tell myself a story. I capture these intimate moments and build my own structures." 
Anne-Laure Maison

No comments:

Post a Comment